When you have been charged with a crime, it is important to know what the next steps are. For many people, being accused of a crime can be overwhelming and confusing. There is no one-size-fits all solution that applies to everyone; however, there are some things that you should do if you have been charged with a crime.
- Wait to Give a Statement to Police Until you Have Spoken to an Attorney.
- Do not Give Consent to Search your home, car, or property (including your cell phone).
- Be aware of Pre-Text Phone Calls.
- If arrested, don’t speak about any of the facts of your case to anyone else.
- All jail phone calls are recorded, so be careful about what you say.